Saturday, March 19, 2011

Here and Now Reflection

I almost felt like I could have just stopped reading after chapter 1 because I felt so convicted about not living in the here and now and I know that that will be a continual and quite difficult struggle. The future always seems so more more exciting, there's always so much to think about, analyze, and learn from the past, but the present can seem really redundant and become routine.  I know that plenty of days I've allowed myself to go on autopilot because I just tell myself that this day will go the same way it went yesterday and quite frankly it just seems easier. Reflecting on the chapter the verse 34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own. (Matthew 5:34) kept on popping in my head. "trouble..." I saw that as all of the opportunities that I was missing to be the light of God to others... rather I took the easy way out and just pushed the cruise control button and avoided it all together.

When Nouwen pointed out that the 3 answers we generally live--not necessarily give are: "We are what we do, we are what others say about us, and we are what we have," I was just thinking to myself, kinda, yes, and kinda but not so much. My biggest struggle out of these 3 points is putting an enormous amount of weight on what others say about me.  As I'm finishing my training at Kohl's, I've been thinking a lot about the manager that I'm going to become.  I'm all about trying to represent Jesus' leadership which can be labeled servant leadership, all except for the rebuking part... That was such an important character of Jesus but oh, is it hard to do.  I want to be the cool boss that people get along with. Not the mean one that people talk about while my back is turned... This is something I continue to meditate on. I know he'll give me the strength to be a leader that He wants me to be since He has an excellent track record in my life... 

10 comments:

  1. It's awesome when God speaks directly to our hearts through other people we care for and trust.

    Prime example:

    "I know that plenty of days I've allowed myself to go on autopilot because I just tell myself that this day will go the same way it went yesterday and quite frankly it just seems easier."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love what you said about "the future always seems so much more exciting, and there's always so much to learn and think about from the past." That's kind of revolutionary to me, because I hadn't thought about it that way! I think I do spend a lot of time in the future especially...and I think it IS because somehow I think that my future will always be more exciting than what is happening right here, right now. Thanks for that insight...I'll be chewing on this one this week for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can totally relate to you in being in cruise control instead of opening my eyes and being willing to be used by God that day. That part of the book talking about being present has definitely convicted me and been on my heart.
    I think as we continue to open our eyes and listen for God's prompting He will help us to be the leaders that He is calling us to be. It will be a process but as you have the willingness to be used by God in leadership, He will use your willing heart and mold and shape you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for this, Jenny.

    Seems to me like the key to becoming the kind of manager you want to be is to focus less on becoming a certain kind of manager, and continue to focus on believing the right things about God and yourself.

    The manager you want to be will flow naturally out of a life focused on the right things. But if you focus too much on management, you'll lose out on the character issues that provide the foundation.

    You are absolutely the right woman for the job, and anyone who's spent any time with you knows that. Be encouraged!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank you for your insight Jenny. I will be praying for this new position that the Lord has directed you towards. Hope to hear more from you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm really excited that we are reading about spiritual leadership right now! I bet this book will help you tons! I know it will help me with my students. I am so excited to hear about what you learn from the book and how you can use it at work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with both Darin and Lindsey. The book that we are reading talks about similar things of what Darin was saying and is a perfect book for you and how you want your leadership to be spiritually reflecting God. So read it! haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks for sharing, jenny! praying God would disrupt your cruise control to remind you He is present even in the seemingly mundane parts of life. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. i think what darin said about this is wonderful. also, thank you so much for sharing in the group last night about the ways in which we have to balance. yes, the present moment is important, but so is God's past work (building remembrances) and a hope and expectancy for the future.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing your heart and what you are growing through. He is faithful!! Amen and Amen!

    ReplyDelete